Navigation Menu

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Santa Delivered

You may think it's a little out of season, or maybe just a little behind in the time, but this week Santa delivered a gift especially for me. It didn't come wrapped in a pretty bow, or beautiful paper, or even a bag. I found it sitting on the kitchen table at my mother's house, amongst some other papers and things. I knew it was mine just the same because on Christmas morning I found a certificate in the Christmas tree saying that Santa would soon be delivering it.

One of my favorite music artists is Adam Young from Owl City. I've sang every song at the top of my lungs, dancing along with my children, listening to the CD at full volume in my living room. There is something about the music that I find so special. It makes me happy. The music is upbeat and catchy. The words are silly and fun. And sometimes the message is exactly what I need to hear. A whole string of random words that make me want to dance and sing freely around the house just being myself.

For Christmas I got a DVD made especially for me of Owl City stuff. It ROCKED! When I went home that night, I immediately watched every minute of it with my husband. We saw every music video, and interview that Adam Young has done, along with his first concert. The DVD alone would have been a perfect gift, but it was just the icing on the cake. Santa delivered me a new CD full of my favorite music by Adam Young. I felt very spoiled this year for Christmas!

Sky sailing Adam Young
For all of you grown-ups who know the secret that lies with Santa, you're probably wondering the mystery that brought the CD to my parent's house, so I'll just tell you. My brother chose this gift for me.

God blessed me with an amazing, absolutely wonderful big brother that I call Shaun. He is always so great at paying attention to details and he puts special touches on things that make you sit back and say, "WOW, I love it!" I've had quite a few fond memories and things that my brother has orchestrated into happening.

I wish I could show you the first gift I remember receiving from my brother, but it's long since been broken and lost. It was a purple beaded necklace that he brought back for me from his first year of church camp over 20 years ago. I felt so special to be remembered on that trip.

Another Christmas years ago, I awoke to a beautiful porcelain doll waiting for me under the tree. I was around 10 or 11 years ago, and I've kept her safe every day since.

He always chooses the greatest gifts. My kid's presents that come from Uncle Shaun are the ones that get played with every day and the ones that they can't let go of. He knows their interests and he puts his heart into buying the perfect thing.

I love when he makes a gift have his own personal touch. The first birthday I had after I began an obsession with Owl City he bought me an Owl notebook that I could apply stickers to so it would read Owl City, and he made me a card by writing my favorite song lyrics on a Hot Air Balloon card. And all the time that I was opening the gift he played the same Owl City song on his iPod for me to hear. See what I mean? Special.

One of my favorite memories from more recent days took place this past fall. My brother took me to a concert to see The Almost and then Switchfoot. The night was awesome! And I loved every moment of it! We sang to the songs, and swayed to the music. It was beautiful.

With Our Hands up high we're screaming ... Whoa whoa oh .. whoa whoa oh

With our hands up high we're screaming the almost
I'm not sure that you can listen to Christian music on the radio and not know who Switchfoot is. Basically every album they make becomes a hit. Every song that they sing becomes famous. So to go to one of their concerts is unbelievably astounding. You sing along to their songs every day and to be hearing it live and know that you're in the same room as them, it's incredible.


Switchfoot
We were meant to live for so much more SwitchfootWe were meant to live for so much more

this is your life, are you who you want to be switchfoot
This is your life, are you who you want to be?

I had to include links to some of my favorite Switchfoot songs. Everyone needs to be a fan of them!
switchfoot
switchfoot
Switchfoot high jump in the airIt was definitely a night to remember, and to have gone with my brother made it all the more special.

Switchfoot concert
So as I sit and write this, I'm listening to my new gift from Santa just thanking God that he blessed me with the brother I have. My gift from Santa may be really cool, and I love it a lot, but even more so I love the man who gave it to me. He's always been there for me, and all my life I've enjoyed calling him my friend. When we were young we didn't get into huge fights or arguments. I just remember all the fun times we had playing in the backyard, or hiding in his room when we were scared of being home alone. I know he's always been and always will be someone I can count on.

I always find it interesting how the Bible verse of the day perfectly fits in with my post of the day. God's timing is remarkable! "We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing.” 2 Thessalonians 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...