Navigation Menu

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Joy Unspeakable

I am very happy to report that God has remembered my son again. Zechariah was very appropriately named. He is my son that shows me God's protection time and time again. Without God, life would be so different.

Thursday of last week started like any other day, but soon changed into a very different kind of day. Zechariah fell off the toilet. Sounds simple enough, and you wouldn't think this would do much damage. However, it did. Somehow, when he was going to the bathroom and fell, his penis got stuck, and was cut pretty badly.

I heard him crying from the other room and came to check on him. I didn't figure it was anything serious. By the time I got there, his tears had stopped and he told me in a very calm rational voice, "I fell off the toilet, and my penis is bleeding."

It was said so matter of fact that I didn't believe there was blood. I then did the thing that mothers never should. When I lifted his shirt up and saw how much blood there was, I gasped out loud with a sharp intake of breath. This set him off and he began to scream and scream. No matter how many times I said, "You'll be okay." He could only remember the look of horror on my face. He thought he was in serious trouble because of my reaction. In fact, he would not stop crying and I had to leave the room to call the doctor. I honestly had no idea what I was to do for him.

I was afraid it needed stitches but I wasn't sure how to go about this. Do I carry him into the hospital naked? Do I try to get a covering for him? I knew it wasn't especially serious, but I thought it probably needed some attention.

By the time I heard back from the doctor, I had calmed him down enough to very delicately apply some antibiotic ointment, and carefully pull up his underwear. With the promise of time on the DSi, the tears stopped flowing. Whenever the pain subsides so quickly, it always makes me question whether it really needs immediate action. I debated for two hours as to bring him in or not. He seemed perfectly fine and was running and playing again.

This kid is always so tough! When he broke his arm, I almost didn't bring him to the doctor. He adapts so well. We all need a little bit of Zech's stamina in our lives. No matter what has happened to him, we've always questioned the seriousness of it because he keeps a positive outlook. Even as young as 7 months old, when he had a very serious blood infection, I couldn't get the doctors to pay attention to him. Whenever they saw him, he was happy and smiling; symptoms they didn't believe a very sick baby would show. He is an example to us all! No matter what happens, don't let it take your joy away!

(While at the hospital, He asked me to take his picture doing the splits. This is a boy who never lets life get him down!)

The doctor had told me he needed to be seen in ExpressCare. After an hour wait, we finally had some evaluation. The doctor took a look at it, and said, "It appears much more serious than we originally thought, and you need to bring him over to the ER for stitches and proper pain medication." They were going to set him up right.

As we were heading over to the hospital, I have to admit I was a little frustrated. This entire day was not part of my plan. I had a really fun day at the lake figured out. We were going to use plaster of Paris to make all kinds of fun sandy keepsakes. I was irritated that this accident had interrupted my day. It seems like all my plans have been altered in some way this summer. How selfish I was! When the day was over, I was so thankful for God's protection for Zechariah. God holds us so tenderly in the palm of His hand.

Fortunately, my mom was with us, as we were supposed to be going to the lake, so she volunteered to take Ariel and Gabe to the library which is next door to the hospital. Zech and I were in for a very long wait. Even though they had called ahead, we still had another 3 hours ahead of us to go.

Through it all, Zechariah was as happy as could be. He treated the entire trip like an adventure. He doesn't visit the hospital very often, so he was happy to explore the areas we visited.


When we finally had our moment with the doctor, he took one look at it and said, it definitely needed stitches and the only way he would do that is if we sedated Zech. He explained that the pain would be over-the-top and he could not put him through it without Zechariah being unconscious. I thought this seemed a little extreme given the fact that he was still running around and playing like he didn't have a care in the world.

The alternative to stitches was simply leaving it alone to heal on its own, and applying some antibiotic ointment to it. He would also have to be really careful to not reopen the wound. This would mean no baths, showers, or even getting wet. Too much water can lengthen the healing process. Because of the area of the cut, it wasn't very susceptible to infection. The doctor also mentioned without stitching it, there was more chance of a scar, but this was still his recommended course of treatment.

I opted for the alternative. Zech had already been through a painful experience and I didn't want to put him through it again. We had our antibiotic ointment in hand, and we were on our way home. I don't know how this fact has escaped us until this moment; Zech is allergic to Neosporin. He broke out in hives all over his body, and his face started to swell. God still held him in the palm of His hand.

Zechariah never complained once about his pain after the initial hurt. He is such a tough kid. He's been through a lot in his life, and he has always dealt with it full of courage and bravery. He is such an inspiration to me.

We spent the weekend in Wichita with my husband's grandparents. The highlight of the trip for our kids is always to visit Riverside park with the computerized fountains. Zech was such a commendable little boy. We didn't want him getting more than his feet wet in the fountains, and he didn't complain a bit when we told him he had enough of the water. He sat on the bench waiting patiently for his brother and sister. He knew it was for his own good that he was taken from the fun and he went right along with it.


I think we can all learn a lesson from Zechariah. "Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. When Zech couldn't play in the fountain, he found he could play on the toys at the park.

It doesn't say we must be happy about everything that happens to us. Circumstances will always be out of our control; however, our feelings are not.

Find something today to be joyful about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...